Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Things We’ve Learned Thusfar in Panamá

There are notable things we have learned or seen in Panamá that haven’t fit into other posts.  

Here they are...  

1. Our Spanish teacher, Gabriel, schooled us on geography last week.  We were discussing how Panamanians refer to US citizens.   Not what they call us behind our backs, but the correct term (Estadounidense es correcta).  Jeff said to Gabriel, “I've heard people from the US are referred to as 'Norte Americanos.'  But we’re all North American.”  Gabriel gave us a confused look.  “I’m not a North American.  I’m a Central American.”  Jeff clarified, “But isn't Central America part of the North American continent?"  To which Gabriel became even more confused.  “What do you mean?  You live in North America.  I live in Central America.  And there is South America.  We’re all part of the continent of America.”  “Hmmmm,” Jeff said. “We learned that there are seven continents,” and he listed them.  Gabriel looked REALLY confused now!  “There are six continents,” he says, as he counted on his hands as he listed.  “Asia, America, Africa, Antarctica, Europe, and Oceania. America goes from Canada to Argentina."  

Apparently, in Panamá, they do not count North and South America as separate continents.  Who's to say?  The land masses are connected.  And maybe there are five continents (Eurasia!) to go with the five oceans.  That would be cool!  One thing is for certain...don't believe anything they teach you in school!

Gabriel and Jeff - Class on Location at Buena Vista


2. Taxis in Bocas del Toro 

Some taxi drivers have the same concept of full as Guatemalans and Sicilians.  In other words, they have no concept.  Jeff and I hailed a taxi, and one with three passengers pulled over.  Jeff and I chuckled a little and squeezed in. When we closed the door, we began to giggle and the Spanish speakers comenzaron a reírse.  Although we didn’t all speak the same primary language, we all understood the clown car ridiculousness of the situation.  I turned to the three passengers in the back who were now squished with Jeff and said, “Lo siento!”  The three of them smiled, laughed, and answered, “Esta bien.”

3. We are privileged in many ways by being American citizens.  If Gabriel wanted to apply for a tourist visa to the US it would cost him $160 and take three to four months to get an answer.  That answer might be no, and he would get no refund.  If he wanted to go to Europe, it would cost him $80.  If his flight to Europe passed through a US airport, the US would require a transit visa that would also cost $160.  Yikes!  How much has it cost us to travel to Italy twice, France, Greece, Spain, Guatemala, and Panama?  Nada! Zilch!  Nothing.  And we applied for nothing.  Waited for nothing.  We just walked up to the Panamanian airport customs officer and presented our US passport, got a stamp, and entered the country.

Indeed, life is not fair.

4. I (Kathy) think howler monkeys are so cool!  View the videos and pictures and judge for yourself.  Jeff had to stop me from taking videos today or I would have continued for as long as they were here.  He thinks they are just the local equivalent of a squirrel.  







No comments:

Post a Comment